Saturday, June 30, 2012

Shop Hop Quilt finished

Yay, I have finished quilting and binding my Shop Hop quilt for 2012.
Here is a photo of the finished quilt

I have used a lovely rich fabric (blue with red and metallic gold) for my feature fabric and teamed it with blue, green & metallic gold and red & metallic gold on a cream splatter painted background fabric. There are the 12 blocks that you will collect at each store and I have added a fused applique in the blue on the cream background as extra squares between and used this same applique in the border. Whilst I realise that this may not be to everyone's taste I have also got some photos of the blocks with plain fabrics between to give you an idea of what it could look like.
These are the blocks with the cream behind them.
This one features the blue between the blocks
The red makes a bigger difference between
And this last one uses the green
They look quite different don't they. These are the 12 blocks that you will get as you visit each store on the shop hop route.There are 6 patterns repeated twice, but I have tried to shift the fabrics around quite a bit so the blocks look quite different.
I decided to free motion quilt a feather design in the alternate applique blocks and then thought I may as well continue with the feather theme so have used that in all the blocks. Anyone wanting these designs can purchase a set from me. You do not have to try quilting like this, I like to use these sampler quilts as places to practice different styles of quilting. You can use very simple straight or wavy lines, quilting 1/4" in from each shape, an allover design etc.
Here are some photos close up, this is the back 
As you can see I took a risk and used a navy thread to do most of the free motion quilting with so it stands out, both on the back and front. I did most of the background quilting in metallic gold or an old gold rayon so you will be able to look closely to see what each thread does to the design.
This is a version of the basket block that doesn't look like a basket
A view along the border
One of the star blocks, shows up the beautiful feature fabric
Remember you have to be registered before 31 August 2012 to participate. Cost is only NZ$45 to receive 12 blocks in your choice of colourway. Each shop will have their quilts featured on the Shop Hop website as well as photos of all in each store so you can choose what you would like to collect.
Do come in and register with me and then advise me of which colourway you prefer.
See you
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment